Friday, May 25, 2007

NYT moving more copy editors to dayside


... to handle more copy being pushed to the Web. According to a report at Gawker, Editor Bill Keller talked with employees about the "gradual reallocation of resources from print towards digital" and about copy editors being moved to the day side, so that there could be a "greater flow of fresh quality edit material."

Not sure, though, what to make of this quote from Keller:
"We can't let our reverence for quality become a straitjacket in new media. The Web environment is different. ... We can offer guidance but we cannot insist on the same control we exercise over print."
My response: Why not?

But this is something I've struggled with for a while. In general, I don't read things on the Web as thoroughly -- or as critically -- as I do in print, and I'm sure I'm not alone. The kind of error that I might clip out and snark at endlessly if it appeared in print barely fazes me online. But does this more casual acceptance of errors mean that we shouldn't strive for "the same control we exercise over print"? And, if that's the case, why do we not have more people editing elements on Charlotte.com? We've already devoted resources to online calendars, slideshows, blogs, reporting -- but why no online editing?

No comments: